Top Social

Metal Box @ Empire Damansara

Monday 28 September 2015
Hello guys! I'm sure you've heard of Metal Box at Empire Damansara right? Okay la, Even if you haven't, it's basically from the same founder of The Red Beanbag at Publika Solaris Dutamas (I haven't tried it but going to try it soon), and it's called Metal Box because there's literally a container in it! :O The kitchen is in the container and we don't dine in it la. Anyway, I've read reviews that Metal Box is a great breakfast place so my friends and I just decided to try it since we were there for a photoshoot. We dined in at around lunch time so most of us ordered from their pasta menu instead of their breakfast menu which was really a disappointment. Read along if you still want to try Metal Box and avoid ordering what we did.

* * *


Didn't really snap much of the interiors as we were all just so sweaty from the photoshoot and just starved ahahaha!


As you can see, they really placed a metal box in their restaurant! I'm a huge fan of these containers and man I must visit the container shopping mall in Seoul one day! :O


Based on the name you can guess that the interior also has to be metal-ish wan la.


So this is their menu! As you can see, there's a decent amount of choices here and a lot of breakfast food so obviously their breakfast food is the famous... I wish I've spotted this earlier!! >:(


Vegetarian Aglio Olio - RM16.90
Obviously hearing from the name of it, you can tell that this would be a dish for someone who loves veges la. Somehow Amanda ordered this and didn't like all the veges lol... -.-ll Anyway, this dish was just decent. Yeah its like 50% vege 50% pasta but it was just a regular pasta. Nothing special.


Seafood Marinara - RM24.90
Sadly, this was my order.. Huge fan of red sauce pastas so it's certain that I've tasted many types in 19 years of my life la. *talking like a food expert now lol. P.S.: I've always wanted to be a food critic because I'm always so particular on my food and my mum says I have a good pallet but I don't wanna get fat.* But seriously this was just a let down, the muscles were overcooked, the fried calamari wasn't even golden or crisp *it said so in the menu* and the sauce was just lacking the fragrance of onions and pepper taste a marinara sauce should have. It was really no different from the typical tomato sauce pasta. Really... =.=ll The only good pointers was the tiger prawns were grilled and seasoned well. Huge disappointment...


Hello blurry Rynn in the background :P


Face-Off Salmon - RM16.90
This was Rynn's order as she's a super salmon lover and would just order anything with salmon in it LOL.. Okay la, same like me also. ahahah! Anyway, this salmon is strangely more orange than typical salmons because it has yukari sauce flavour smoked onto it. Overall the dish was good as the scrambled eggs were soft and fluffy, salmon really tasty and fries weren't oily or too salty. The best dish among all our pasta dishes!


Cabonara Pasta - RM18.90 *if not mistaken
This was Darlene's Cabonara and it comes with either turkey ham or beef bacon. Darlene chose turkey ham but I personally think that it'll taste better in beef bacon because well, IT'S BACON! Anyway, the cabonara is topped with a poached egg but the one served here wasn't poached long enough as it was too watery in combination with the cabonara sauce which was already quite watery making it unpleasant. I wouldn't say it was bad, it was just not thick or creamy enough. You can still order it if it you don't like too creamy cabonara la, but what is cabonara if it's not thick?!


Smokey Chicken Pesto - RM18.90
In the picture above it just looks like a normal pesto pasta but in actual, it was just super green and kind of yucky looking. Anyway, this was also just normal, and towards the bottom, the plate was just flooded with pesto sauce which looked really disgusting as though they didn't drain the pasta and the water just dripped in the plate as they put the sauce. So watery again! >:(


The only good thing about this place is they've got not bad service as they served us quick and nice.


Lastly, an #ootd from the photoshoot! Okay this wasn't my ootd but it's actually a whole set from Forever 21! How did I get my hands on these?! Well, it's part of a project (Raffles KL x Forever 21) where we collaborate with Forever 21 to set up a booth at our college! It's long gone already & was supposed to upload this post earlier but I forgot hahaha! In case you missed that post, READ IT HERE.

Overall, my first visit to Metal Box Restaurant wasn't really a pleasant one for my appetite as the food was pretty disappointing as compared to the amount of crowd dining there (the place was packed by 1+pm). Maybe because we didn't know what to order (they didn't state the specialties) and should have ordered the breakfast menu instead. But how can a successful restaurant be super good in only their breakfast food but totally not in their pasta section?? They might as well just serve breakfast food.. This is called inconsistency which would most probably make me not visit this place again. If you were at Empire Damansara, I'd recommend you to try something else instead. (read here) But, if you still wish to visit Metal Box and try their other food, here's the location.

Metal Box Restaurant & Cafe
Address: G12, Empire Damansara,
Jalan PJU 8/8, Damansara Perdana,
47820 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
Phone:+60 3-7731 9560
Operating Hours:
Monday (CLOSED)
Tuesday-Friday (10am – 4pm, 6pm – 10pm)
Weekends (10am – 10pm)

Post Comment
Post a Comment